- Blender3D THE open source 3D modelling/animation package with LOTS of features. Saves .x files directly. some featurehighlights: UV mapping/mesh unwrapping, subdivision modelling, game engine (can create standalones!).the gui is a bit special and takes a while to learn but it seems to be quite productive.
- Wings 3D open source 3D subdivision modeller. small, fast, easy to use and looks clear.
- AccuTrans 3D 3D-file format converter. full working version downloadable, licence 20USD. can write .x (Ascii or binary) but not read. has a good function to create 3 different styles of texture coordinates for the models.
- 3D Model Search Engine more than 30000 3D models free to download.
- XFile exporter for 3D Studio
- 3DRipperDX lets you:
- capture all geometry, textures and shaders, rendered during single frame;
- import captured geometry into 3D Studio Max or Maya;
- see what exactly has been drawn by each individual draw call;
- see renderstate, textures, vertex streams, index stream, vertex declaration, vertex and pixel shaders (including HLSL source code if available) of each individual draw call.
- Deep Exploration 3D-file format converter. Commercial, 30-day trial available.
- XnView view and convert graphic files, supports more than 400 graphics formats
- ddsview 0.663a tiled image viewing, alpha channel display, viewing cubemaps and reading (and writing) dds files
- Nvidia Photoshop Plugins allow to save dds-textures directly out of photoshop
- CubeMapGen converts CubeCross maps (as generated with Writer (EX9.Texture CubeCross) to regular cubemaps.
- Image Magick free multi-plattform command line tool for a plethora of image calculation tasks (including stitching, compositing, conversion etc.)
- Inkscape free vector-based drawing application similar to Adobe Illustrator. Saves .SVG natively.
- The Gimp free image manipulation software for photo retouching, image composition & image authoring; similar to Adobe Photoshop.